360 Feedback Questions to Measure the Most Important Leadership Competencies
DecisionWise 360 feedback questions measure 80 research-based leadership competencies and 320 behaviors. These competencies have been over the past 25 years working with leaders and organizations around the world.
Each competency includes about four behavior descriptors that are both observable and actionable. It is important that the behavior be observable by the participant’s boss, peers, and direct reports to show comparisons between the groups. The items must also be actionable so that a participant can easily understand what to do to change in order to improve.
360 Feedback Leadership Competencies
DecisionWise 360 Surveys include 3 foundational competencies which each have several sub-competencies:
- Professional Expertise
- Results Orientation
- Customer Focus
- Organizational Alignment
- Change Management
- Interpersonal Communication
- Developing Others
- Psychological Safety
Each 360 feedback question helps measure where an employee rates within the competency framework.
What is a 360 degree feedback survey question?
The questions on a multi rater feedback survey are really statements that describe specific leadership behaviors. Sometimes they are called behavior statements, behavior descriptors, or survey items. DecisionWise 360 feedback questions are designed to measure specific behaviors that can be easily observed by a leader’s boss, peers, and direct reports. Multiple questions are used to gather feedback on an overall leadership competency, such as Communication. The scores from 360 feedback questions roll up to provide an overall leadership competency score.
Actionable 360 feedback questions
DecisionWise 360 degree feedback questions are designed to be actionable, meaning an individual can take action based on the 360 degree survey results. For example, if a leader receives a low score on the question “Creates a sense of accountability for results within his/her team,” he or she can make changes to increase accountability.
360 Degree Feedback Example Questions
Here are some examples of 360 feedback questions that provide actionable employee feedback to leaders:
- Maintains focus and commitment despite challenges or setbacks.
- Breaks down larger projects into manageable tasks.
- Delivers solid results, even in challenging situations.
- Sets high performance standards for his/her team.
- Demonstrates appreciation for the unique differences and perspectives of others.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with others.
- Works effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Facilitates teamwork and communication across functions, divisions, & departments.
- Shows excitement for and engagement in the work that he/she does.
- Fosters energy, enthusiasm, and commitment in others.
- Sets a good example of the behavior he/she asks for.
- Creates an environment in which others choose to do their best.
- Volatile: Loses temper or patience quickly; irritable or lacks composure.
- Lacks Confidence: Overly concerned with making mistakes; indecisive.
- Unapproachable: Distant or isolated; fails to build effective relationships.
- Exclusive: Excludes others; fails to treat others fairly; shows favoritism.
The DecisionWise Leadership Intelligence® Assessment measure leadership derailers using a separate section from the normal leadership competencies. Without a derailers section, you are probably missing important pieces of your 360 review puzzle. A leadership derailer is a behavior that gets in the way of a leader’s development. We all have weaknesses that we may never choose to improve or need to master. A derailer is a weakness that requires improvement if we are to realize our potential. You can recognize a derailer using these four criteria:
• A derailer has the potential to limit our progress.
• Sometimes, a derailer can be linked to a talent taken to an extreme.
• Multiple strengths cannot compensate for a derailer.
• Others tend to focus on and emphasize our weaknesses (Horn effect).
Derailers guide us to specific areas where we can take action. They often give us the “why” behind the results. Combined with the open-ended comments and the results from the leadership competency section, participants can clearly see themes develop in their feedback.
Common Leadership Derailers
Based on years of research and experience, we have identified 13 of the most common leadership derailers. These include:
Easily distracted; shifts from task to task without getting the most critical things done.
Violates or compromises the trust of others; has difficulty gaining the trust of others.
Is closed to new ideas; not open to constructive feedback; unwilling to consider other viewpoints.
NOT A TEAM PLAYER
Selfish; places personal agenda before the good of the team.
Overly controlling; does not empower others with the freedom and latitude to do their best work.
EAGER TO PLEASE
Overly concerned with being accepted and liked; defers to other people’s opinions.
Appears bored or dissatisfied with work; does just enough to “get by.”
Loses his/her temper; loses patience quickly; irritable and lacks composure.
Fails to recognize when something is “good enough;” obsessive; uncompromising.
The DecisionWise Difference
For nearly three decades, DecisionWise has specialized in conducting 360 feedback assessments and coaching participants on the results. Our 360 Platform along with our research-based assessments provide unmatched quality in delivering 360 degree feedback solutions with performance review for organizations of all sizes. However, we are not just a software vendor. We are an employee experience firm providing consulting, expertise, personal service, best-in-class assessment technology, and specialized 360 review solutions that turn feedback into results.
We have administered hundreds of thousands of 360 surveys. Our feedback survey projects range from less than 10 participants to thousands of participants in some of the most widely recognized companies in the world. However, our 360 feedback solutions do not begin and end with technology. Each survey project receives personalized attention. We go far beyond a software application in our design, administration, and follow-up of each questionnaire.
DecisionWise Leadership Intelligence® Assessment Versions
• Executive Leader
• Business Leader
• Individual Contributor
• Healthcare Executive
• Direct Patient Care Leaders
• Non-direct Patient Care Leaders
• Physician Leaders
• Individual Contributors