The Employee Value Proposition (EVP) is a component of an organization’s larger brand. Specifically, it’s the key messaging an organization uses to help attract and retain its best employees and to attract more. Underlying this key branding are the following elements:
- The organization’s mission, purpose, and values
- Pay and benefits
- Location and its associated pluses or minuses (e.g., access to surf beaches or crowded freeways)
- Organizational culture
- Working arrangements such as flexibility, scheduling, and working styles
- Technology and hardware that may be important to employees
- Growth and development pathways
- Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance positions (ESG)
- Social missions and other cause-based initiatives
- Physical environments such as office space, breakrooms, cafeterias, etc.
In summary, your EVP is a branding strategy that represents everything of value you have to offer your employees in hopes of attracting, motivating, and retaining the best employees.