Whether you are new to the world of Human Resources or a seasoned veteran, here are 13 terms every HR Manager should add to their tool belt.
- Culture: a set of values, norms, beliefs, and understandings that is shared by members of an organization and is taught to new members as the way to feel, think, and behave.
- Tool/Lever: A technique, activity, or approach within a model to achieve a desired result.
- Artifact: An object that explains or provides information about a culture.
- Model: An approach, framework, or methodology for understanding or changing culture in order to improve the experience (Organizational Development), which then leads to employee engagement.
- Survey/Listening Device: A research activity designed to measure or ascertain an aspect of the experience.
- Survey item/question: the most granular level of listening; a query to measure a small segment of the experience.
- Behaviors: Observable actions/activities that demonstrate (or signify) a person’s or an organization’s level of attainment within a Competency.
- Employee Engagement: The employee’s emotional response to their employee experience.
- Leadership: Individual or organization-wide decision-making that addresses VUCA (volatility, uncertainty, complexity, ambiguity)
- Competency: Mastery of a concept (theme or leadership area) by the effective application and use of KSAs (knowledge, skills, and abilities).
- Structural Devices: A defined and preconceived organizational process or system that helps develop or maintain an organization-based competency or individual competency within the larger culture.
- Theme: A codified abstraction that describes a particular area within a culture that can be understood from person to person and from organization to organization.
- Analytics: The application of data science principles to enhance our understanding of the experience and to reduce noise, complexity, and ambiguity.
- Key metrics are combined data points to provide greater clarity
- An Index is a composite metric (compound measure – multiple metrics added together).
- AI/Machine Learning/Statistical methods are advanced tools used in analytics.